Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) offers significant benefits for both providers and payers. Electronic claims can help improve efficiency, productivity and cash flow for providers, while
Of the claims that University of Utah Health Plans (U of U Health Plans) receives electronically, 80% pass through our claims processing system without processor intervention. The average turnaround time for EDI claims (received
UUHP is currently accepting the following HIPAA-compliant transactions:
- 837 005010X224 (Dental)
- 837 005010X222A1 (Professional claims)
- 837 005010X223A2 (Institutional claims)
- 277CA Claim Acknowledgement/
- 999 Acknowledgement
- 835 005010X221A1 (Remittance
- EFT (Electronic funds transfer) in conjunction with the 835
- COB (Coordination of Benefits)
- 270/271 0051010X279A1 Eligibility Request/Response (real time)
- 276/277 Claim
statusinquiry/response (real time)
If EDI Connection issues occur during off hours for real time 270/271 and 276/277 transactions please contact U of U Help Desk at 801-587-6000.
In compliance with CORE
Utah Health Information Network
UUHP is a member of the Utah Health Information Network (UHIN), a non-profit coalition of payers and providers in Utah. UHIN members have come together to reduce the administrative costs of health care through standardizations of electronic interactions.
For more information about UHIN.
UUHP’s trading partner number with UHIN is HT000179-002.
Getting Started With EDI Enrollment
All HIPAA-compliant transactions with University of Utah Health Plans must be submitted through the Utah Health Information Network (UHIN).
Trading Partner Registration
* If currently submitting through a clearinghouse it is not necessary to register with UHIN. Established clearinghouses already have a trading partner number set up to submit electronic transactions through UHIN to Utah payers.
If you are not submitting your claims through a clearinghouse you can obtain a trading partner ID through UHIN. UHIN does offer all the HIPAA compliant transactions. Go to https://uhin.org/new-account-setup to start the enrollment process. Follow the steps listed on the website.
EDI Enrollment Process for the 835 and EFT
Please start ERA enrollment through your clearinghouse. They will then submit the form to UUHP on your behalf.
A Provider must be enrolled with the 837 to receive the 835 and EFT transaction. The 835 and EFT transactions are linked together by the Billing Provider NPI and a Provider must enroll in both transactions. To receive the 835 a provider must be enrolled with the EFT, and to receive the EFT a provider must be enrolled with the 835.
Once UUHP has received the EDI Enrollment form, UUHP will begin setting up the EDI connections. The provider will be notified by email once the setup is complete.
Any EDI enrollment questions can be sent to email@example.com
U of U Health Plans currently administers the following plans:
- Healthy Premier- Group
- Healthy Preferred- Group
- Medicaid Products
- Healthy U Traditional Medicaid
- Healthy U Non-Traditional Medicaid
- Healthy U Behavioral
- HOME (Healthy Outcomes Medical Excellence)
- University of Utah Health Plans Marketplace
- Healthy Premier Individual & Family Plans
- UNI-BHN Carve-Outs (mental health claims only)
- Carson Tahoe Health System
Submitting Claims to UUHP
There are several different options for submitting claims to UUHP. These include the following:
- uTRANSEND - Web portal through UHIN to send claims and retrieve all acknowledgment reports and remittance advice
- clearinghouses - UHIN has a connection to most national clearinghouses and supports all HIPAA-compliant billing software.
UHIN Contracted Clearinghouses
A partial list of UHIN contracted clearinghouses appears below:
- RelayHealth/McKesson: Payer ID # UNUTHP
- Change Healthcare/Emdeon: Payer ID # SX155
- Trizetto: Payer ID # 00179
- Apex EDI: Payer ID #
- SSI Group: Payer ID # SX155
- Zirmed/Waystar: Payer ID # Z1030
- Practice Insight: Payer ID # SX155
- Med USA: Payer ID # HT000179-002
- Office Ally: Payer ID # SX155
- Optum Clearinghouse: Payer ID # SX155
- Eligible: Payer ID # SX155
- ClaimRemedi: Payer ID # SX155
- Claim MD: Payer ID # SX155
*Please note - Payer ID numbers are assigned by the clearinghouse. As University of Utah Health Plans does not assign or maintain these numbers, please contact your clearinghouse for this information.
Hours & Schedule
Claims can be submitted 24/7.
UHIN Customer Service: (877) 693-3071
Hours: M-F 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. with 24/7 emergency support
Phone: (801) 587-2638 or (801) 587-2639
Fax: (801) 281-6121
Tips for Submitting Claims
U of U Health Plans can accept corrected claims by EDI and U of U Health Plans prefers to receive claims by EDI.
- Claim Header Level: Place a code 7 in the CLM05-3 segment (see 5010 Implementation Guides on Claim Frequency Type Code, page 161)
- Please include the original claim number being corrected.
Claim notes, claim line notes (professional claims only) and claim billing notes (institutional claims only) can be submitted in the electronic file. UUHP will not know if the claim note(s) affect the claim payment, therefore UUHP will
- Accident details
- Auto or subrogation detail
- Any special circumstances
You can find more information about claim and claim line notes on page 211 and page 415 of the Professional Implementation Guide. You can find more information about claim notes and claim